July 31, 2014

Staying On Track

Staying on track is so hard sometimes. Thankfully I found a few things that work to keep me motivated and on the right path.

Meal Plan: Every week I plan at least 5 or 6 meals for dinner. I allow one night for left overs and one night we use to go out or order in. Typically our go out/order in night is Friday night.  I don't want to give myself the option of "just grabbing" something due to my busy day, because it usually would be something not so healthy. If we do go out I try and choose something healthier for me like a salad, grilled chicken dishes etc. For lunches, the night before I try to pack mine with some healthy snacks for the next day. If I know we are going out to dinner I will plan the meals prior and after to fit within my "calorie" or nutrition goals. (look into IIFYM)

Choosing Water. I have done it a few different ways. But what works well for me is bringing a water bottle with me to work. It has a straw so I have found I am drinking way more water without even thinking about it. I noticed I consumed much more water and was lease likely to grab for a diet coke.

Staying motivated has always been hard for me. I do great for a few weeks then something happens and I just stop. For me, finding something like my cycle class has helped to keep me motivated to go. Telling my good friends that I am going helps to keep me accountable. And when I really am not "feeling" it a simple phone call to the hubs has ALWAYS helped. Sometimes all it takes is just getting dressed. I always feel better when I go and get a good work out in.

Every once in awhile I have something that comes up during the week. Girls night or date nights. So I plan ahead. On those days I make sure my food choices are on point throughout the day to allow for those extra calories I know I will consume. I also make it a point to hit the gym right after work so I get in a workout before. I know I wont want to do it after so making the time before when I am more motivated has helped. Even if its just thirty minutes, it is much better than not going at all.

I track everything. Write it down. I use an app to record all my food and workouts. I also write down goals each week again on the notes in my phone. Each week I set a new goal along with the goals from the previous weeks. Something new to push myself or to test myself. For me it could be as simple as doing an additional 10 minutes of cardio or as hard as NO cheat meals. Either way its something that I can use to push myself and stay motivated.

I'm a huge visual person. If I see it I will remember it.  If I remember it I will do it.

Phew lat was a lot of information. I am constantly changing and evolving how I do things. Every week is not going to be perfect and there have been plenty of weeks where I have felt like I failed MISERABLY. But try not to let those days or weeks kill my motivation. Stay positive and staying focused is key!

No comments: